There are many businesses that still use fluorescent lighting, and some that use LED. This is something that has been addressed as to which one is really the best for business lighting. We decided to get to work and note some of the key factors about this rivalry.
The LED lights are able to produce a bright light by emitting diode. They only use 10% energy when compared to other bulbs. These lights run on a current that converts AC to DC at the gathered voltage.
Most people prefer these lights due to their power saving capacities. The LED lights can save your power due to the small amount of energy needed to illuminate the tiny globe.
Fluorescent lights use fluorescence to produce visible light. The lights have low pressure where it contains mercury vapor then the gas is discharged to the fluorescent. Short wave ultraviolet light is then produced which then makes phosphor coating and the bulb ends up glowing. These lights are used in homes, large buildings and institutions.
LED vs fluorescent lights
- LED can be dimmed unlike fluorescent lights that need to be switched on completely. The semiconductor device inside led bulbs dims the bulb according to the light inside the building thus saving on energy. The mixtures contained in a fluorescent light cannot be dimmed unless they have a compatible dimming ballast.
- LED have an extended life in comparison to fluorescent lights. LED don’t burn or fail easily, the quality ones are said to have a lifespan of between 30,000 to 50,000 hours and can even run longer. Fluorescent don’t have a big lifespan because mostly they are switched on and off making it more prone to malfunction. When a fluorescent bulb is switched on, electro-emitting of cathodes take place, when all the cathodes are emitted the bulb will not start.
- LED is not affected by cold temperatures where its performance increases and the operating temperatures drop. For this reason it can be used in refrigerators, freezers and other storage spaces. Fluorescent lamps only operate best at places with room temperature where lower and higher temperatures affect it. When placed in a room with freezing temperature fluorescent may not even start.
- LED lights do not contain harmful substances like IR (infrared) or UV emissions which cause burn hazards to humans and materials. Fluorescent bulbs contain mercury in the phosphor especially bulbs that near end life. Mercury is harmful to humans and broken bulbs should be handled carefully and disposed well.
- Fluorescent emit ultraviolet light in small amounts. People who have light sensitivity may experience health problems due to artificial righting. LED does not produce any harmful right and causes no health risk.
- LED can be recycled and they remain unaffected due to rapid cycling. LED are well suited to be used with daylight sensors making their lifespan longer. Fluorescent contain contaminants which cannot allow recycling. The mercury inside is not environmental friendly and thus requires special disposal.
LED lights cost a little more but their benefits outweigh all the other bulbs. With all these problems caused by fluorescent, LED solves almost every problem and you are ensured of a safe environment that is not contaminated. LED will serve you for years and save money in the long run unlike the other bulbs that have a short life span.